Many of us at one point or another have asked ourselves “What is my life’s purpose” and for too many of us this can be an overwhelming question to ponder and even more to answer.
But what if I told you that we all have the same life purpose?
That you, yes YOU, are here to practice being human and there is no limit to how proficient, even masterful that you can become at being human. This is the process of evolving yourself. In other words, becoming the best version of yourself is your “life’s purpose” and the service (contribution) you came here to offer humanity is your “life’s work”. They intertwine, going hand in hand.
This includes mastering the basics of life: Such as learning to be consistent in the things you say you want, being able to believe and trust yourself, learning to say no, learning how to respond with presence, patience and compassion in situations that test and push your buttons, being able to own your values without being swayed.
Then, Stephanie how do I find my Life’s Purpose?
That’s thing I want you to realize, that the real focus is not on finding your purpose. You are fulfilling your purpose each time you challenge yourself to grow and evolve, instead, it’s about your “life’s work”. Did you just have an “aha moment” ….
So what you are actually looking for, trying to figure out, is your “life’s work” and to do that you have to discover what feels important to you.
If you feel like you have no direction in life, when you don’t know what you’re passionate about- it’s usually because you don’t know what is important to you. You aren’t aware of your values and you’re probably not asking yourself questions or the right questions.
How to Uncover your “Life’s Work”
- Figure out what feels important to you
- Which means figure out what your personal values are.
- Prioritize doing things and activities you enjoy.
- Self Expression is crucial to maintaining your alignment and the more aligned you are the easier it becomes for your Higher Self to guide you and show you the way.
- Notice your dreams & signs (the synchronicities) in your life. Jot them down.
- Pay attention to the things that happen in your life, the people you meet, the things you notice, the places you are drawn to.
- Notice how you spend your time now.
- Is what you’re doing serving your highest good, is it adding more value to your life or to the life’s of others, is helping you grow?
- Ask 3-5 people that you know, what they think are your biggest natural strengths and talents?
- I did this a few years back when I was feeling a little lost, cloudy and unsure of myself I reached out to three different people in my life and asked them questions. You can read their responses here in my journal entry: What to do when our Internal Mirror Gets Fogged
- Spend some time doing things that nurture your soul.
- Meditate, Self Reflect, Spend time in nature, connect with like-minded people, people who are creative and living out their passions. This will help inspire you and get the energies moving inside of you.
- Try something new, challenge yourself.
- Figuring out your “life’s work” isn’t passive, you have to move into action in order to figure out what you like and don’t like. And also it’s the only way to move the energy around you.
I took a year, where all I did with a good friend of mine was try new things and challenge ourselves.
- That year we did kickboxing (3) times a week ( I learned that I really like it)
- I went zip lining (btw I am afraid of heights)
- I tired Indoor Rock Climbing (and learned a little something about myself )
- I took sound and color therapy courses
- I went swimming with the whale sharks ( that experience gave me great confidence in myself)
- I went camping, I hiked 18 miles and bathed in a river and shitted outdoors lol… ( another confident booster, that showed I could rough it out if push comes to shove)
So again, if you want to find out your “life’s work” what you’re passionate about, then you must try a thing you haven’t done, engulfing yourself in new and various activities. You can also find a problem and start trying to solve it
Please remember that as you continue to grow spiritually you will understand your life’s work, that special contribution you came to gift humanity. Be patient with yourself, don’t despair and whatever you do, don’t be so hard on yourself. ( I’m guilty of this myself in the past, it’s no fun and it really doesn’t help you. It actually keeps you stuck in place longer) Instead simply start moving into action, try new things and ask new questions…
Virgil G. Thomas once said:
“You must do a thing three times: Once to get over the fear of doing it, Twice to learn how to do it, Third to figure out if you like it or not.”
It’s about that time, you know what time it is
A Moment of Self Reflection.
Reflect on these two questions to help you figure out your “Life’s work”
- Is there an activity you do where you lose all sense of time, that you become so engulfed in it that hours go by so fast without you noticing?
- What is something you want to do, something you think about doing yet don’t?
Want to dive deeper? Get your FREE 3-page Playsheet to further help you explore your life’s work.