Do you really know who you are at the core?
Do you know what it means to know yourself?
When I ask if you know yourself, I don’t mean it in a superficial way. I’m not referring to what type of music or movies you like, what your political views are, or what you do for work. That is not who you are…
In order to get to know yourself you have to get in touch with your soul, your true essences. And you do this by looking deeper within to understand of “how” you think and feel, how do you give and receive love, how do you handle different situations. As you’re able to start pinpointing what causes you to react positively and negatively, this is going to help you assess yourself more honestly and you’re going to have more clarity on your strengths and weaknesses.
Once you understand how you think and feel then you need to understand (become aware) of the how and why you do, the things you do.
Because if you’re unaware of how and why you do, what you do, then how are you ever going to know why you’re attracting the people, situations and events that you attract into your life. Many of us don’t really know why we do, what we do.
So if YOU can get clear on who you are and who you want to be. And then become aware of “how” you do things and “why” you do them. Then you will be able to check if they “how & why” are in alignment with who you are and where you’re trying to go.
What does Knowing Yourself Mean
Knowing yourself is the process of understanding you, the human being, on deeper levels . Knowing yourself means respecting your values in life and your beliefs. It means knowing what you feel, so you can align your feelings with your words and actions. Knowing yourself means understanding your strengths and weaknesses, your passions and fears, your desires and dreams. It means that you know how you react in certain situations and you understand why you do the things you do.
It is about having enough self-awareness to observe yourself in many different situations and to know how you react in them.
- How do you use your time?
- Do you know the why you do the things you do?
- Do you know what your values are?
- Do you know what you’re constantly worried about?
- What meaning do you give things?
- What do you want out of yourself, out of life and ultimately what do you want to contribute-what do you want your legacy to be.
When you don’t have a deep awareness of who you are, your behaviors and motivating factors behind the things that you do. You’re bound to repeat the same patterns and experience the same themes in your life, again and again. That is the fastest way into victimhood, feeling like you can’t understand why things never work out for you, why it’s you against the world or why everyone takes advantage of you etc…
When u don't know who you are, You're bound to repeat the same patterns in your life. Click To Tweet
And it doesn’t help that our society in our culture doesn’t promote critical thinking, it doesn’t value emotional intelligence nor self awareness. We’ve been trained for years in arithmetic reading and writing and memorization. We’ve been taught what to think but never how to think. We’ve never been taught to learn about ourselves and when you think about it, we are a subject in and of itself, actually the most important subject that needs to be learned and understood.
We've been taught what to think, but never how to think. Click To Tweet
FIVE STEPS TO GET TO KNOW YOURSELF
1. You need to have a strong desire to want to get to know yourself and then commit to yourself knowledge. It usually isn’t until we experience some sort of crisis in our life that we decide to look within. Don’t wait until a crisis strikes for you to look within and learn about you.
2. Find the Stillness of your mind. Knowing who you are and involves time alone, quiet and reflective time where you can listen to your thoughts, and reflect upon the day and yourself. Make self reflection a part of your daily or weekly practice.
3. Discover and Define your personal values. This is huge, you need to know what your core values are. Without them you don’t have direction, you’ll find yourself drifting around in life, pulled in any direction where external validation. Values are the foundation on which you build on, without them your foundation is pretty weak.
4. Identify what your inborn preferences are. Do you restore your energy from being alone (introvert) or from being with people (extrovert)? Do you make decisions more on the basis of feelings or thoughts and facts? Do you prefer details or Big Ideas? Are you a morning person or a night person? Do you know how you react in certain situations?
5. Get to know your body and listen to it’s wisdom. The more in tune you become with your body; the better you will become at sensing energy, at being in the present moment and knowing when you or someone else is crossing any of your emotional boundaries.
You know I’m big fan of self reflection, it = awareness.
So now, I turn it over to you!
- Think about what you want for yourself and ultimately what do you want to contribute to the world?
- Identify what one your inborn preferences are, and share it with me below?